Wednesday, June 15, 2016

After Just Write is Just Work

I never started writing with any expectations. If anything, I tried to avoid thoughts of being published. It was too much to consider I could ever achieve that lofty a goal. Those thoughts were pushed to the very back of my mind. I told myself to never think about something that will never happen.

But at the beginning, I couldn't help but imagine writing that piece of work that would skyrocket to the top. It would be so brilliant it would be snatched up and rise to immediate popularity. The first words I put down were so good. It was an honest feeling. I was so attached and excited about the fact I put all these words down that they must be excellent. Except they weren't. Some were very good. Some were brilliant, like I thought, but many were not brilliant. Some weren't even good. Many were downright bad but it's hard to see through all the emotional excitement. 

I would feel foolish about so much of it when it was re-read. It was awful, I can't. 

Then the realization dawned. It takes work. Those words you've written are only the beginning. Detach yourself from the crush you have on your own words and get to the real work at hand. This takes time and effort. First words are not the end. Yes, it's taken a while to get them all down and that is what everyone says to do. Just write. But you need to understand that isn't the end. You haven't finished and you've only begun at that point. Now the work starts and if you can't get beyond that thought, it will go nowhere no matter how much you have done so far. If you stop there, then you have reason to feel foolish.

So I've written some pieces. Next step is to get to work.
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT