Thursday, May 7, 2015

I have been

I've been writing up a storm lately. I've been spending a lot of time with editing and taking a look at characters from this angle and that. I've been looking for action that moves stories along instead of slowing their pace. There is only one problem. I've been doing it for other people's writing and not my own.

I've been a member of the site writing.com for the past two years. I come and go and I have a few items posted to my portfolio but nothing recent. I'm not much for the social media aspects and that doesn't do me much good in this community, as they call it, but I was given some good feedback when I asked on those few pieces in my portfolio. It helped when I couldn't get anyone else to do it. So, for some reason, the past few days I've been giving reviews to a few posted items for others. I even took on a first chapter for someone that couldn't figure out why it didn't sound the way she wanted it to. I read it and wrote out edits, and suggestions, and how she could do this and that. It took some time and it made me focus. I'm not sure how she wanted it to sound but I gave her suggestions on how it could sound better. She e-mailed me back and seemed very grateful. She wanted to know if I would take another look after she worked on it. Well, okay. That made me feel good. 

It seems that if I am able to figure out someone else's guide to improvements, I should be able to spend some of that time (if not all) on my own writing. It isn't as if I don't have pieces I could be editing. I have plenty or at least enough to keep me very busy. I could be writing up a storm on my own. If only I would.
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT